Is it the ECM motor or the control board of the furnace that might be failing?

Started by user2023, October 07, 2023, 02:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

user2023

For reference I have a 2006 Lennox G61MPV-60D-135-07.

1) Is it more likely to be the ECM motor or the control board of the furnace that is defective since the blower motor will not always start on its own when the electricity comes back after losing hydro?

The blower motor is programmed to be running 24/7 to move the air around the house. If I lose electricity for a very short time, like 3 minutes or less, when the electricity comes back to my house the furnace will turn on as I can hear a small buzzing sound if I'm near it, but the blower motor will not start. On the wall near the furnace there is a on/off switch for the furnace. If I turn it on-off 2-3 times then the motor will start. But when I lose hydro for longer periods of time, like maybe 20+ minutes, when the electricity comes back to the house the blower motor will start on its own (like normal).

2) I searched on-line and the GE ECM motor I have is more than $1.5K So I was wondering if having the HVAC tech change it to a PSC motor with a relay would be an acceptable solution. Would I lose a lot of functionality of my furnace?

3) And if it is more likely to be the control board that is failing, are there other boards I can get that might work the same? I understand that the part might not be available anymore from Lennox. I would prefer having to pay for changing the ecm motor and/or the board than changing the whole furnace. Since 2006 the furnace has been flawless.

I understand it is impossible to tell with certainty if it is the ecm motor or the control board. But I just would like to have the professional opinion of qualified people.

Admin