Exterior propane lines

Started by Hgye, May 02, 2021, 09:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hgye

I want to run my main trunk outside the house and go in to the on-demand, dryer, and range, with individual runs.  I am worried that the propane won't stay a vapour on -38C days.    Normally, I try to get into the house as quick as I can with the gas piping, but it is not possible here.  Does anyone have experience with running the main trunk on the exterior?  Did you run into problems?  I can easily upsize the trunk if it helps.

theclick

You're most at risk of re condensing liquid propane in higher pressure applications (upstream of 2nd stage regulators) when there is no load and the gas is sitting stagnant in the lines. If you experience temps that cold it's advisable to adjust your 1st stage regulator pressure down to 5lbs and below. 2nd stage will have to be adjusted as well, due to the lower inlet pressures. Twin stage regulators under the tank lid will generally not have re condensing issues.

I see exterior building piping all the time in Kingston area.. no issues. More information can be found from "REGO LP servicemans manual".
(pg 29)

Hgye

Thank you for your response.

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: theclick on May 02, 2021, 10:47:13 PM
I see exterior building piping all the time in Kingston area.. no issues.

You'll never see -38C in the Kingston area. I would make certain there's provisions in place for low pressure propane cut offs for the on demand and dryer. I think at temps that low, you'll lose pressure by the lack of boiling that no piping arrangement can account for.

theclick

Our coldest ever recorded was -32C in 1996. Not -38C by any means.. but still cold as f*ck. I also agree with having low pressure cut off devices, perfect way to protect the equipment. Having the gas piping indoors as soon as possible is always preferred as well, but not always possible.

Best way to protect against low pressure issues in cold weather is by keeping your tanks full, having more storage and keeping ice and snow off the tank. Torpedo style tanks and high/low regulator systems have always been the best way to deliver propane at a consistent pressures in cold temps.