Clearance from underside

Started by Mmtc79, October 15, 2018, 07:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mmtc79

Is the 12 inches or more clearance from underside of deck boards or 12 below the bottom of deck joist ?

Admin

QuoteClause 8.14.8 - A vent shall not terminate;
(h) underneath a veranda, porch, or deck unless
(i) the veranda, porch, or deck is fully open on a minimum of two sides beneath the floor; and
(ii) the distance between the top of the vent termination and the underside of the veranda, porch, or deck is greater than 1 ft (300 mm).

I would say if your vent termination is directly beneath the deck boards you need more than 12".  If you terminate directly beneath a joist then you measure more than 12" from it to the top of the vent.  It says greater than 12", so keep at least 12.1" of clearance. :)

Mmtc79

Yes I'm going to be below the deck boards and below the joist from top of vent to deck boards is about 14 inches I was just wondering if it had to be 12 inches from bottom of joist code is not very clear is just says underneath so if I went 12 below bottom of joist I'd be like 24 plus inches down lol

Admin

It's where the vent actually terminates.  Just keep it past any joist then you can measure from the bottom of the deck boards.