Licensing Of Electrical Contractors - Ontario Regulation 570/05

Started by Admin, March 09, 2013, 03:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Download Ontario Regulation 570/05 - Here

QuoteNote: April 8, 2013 has been named by proclamation as the day on which section 103 of the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009 comes into force.

QuoteNon-application of regulation
2.  This Regulation does not apply to a person engaged in the following types of electrical work:

4.  Work done on the controls and equipment within refrigeration and air-conditioning units by a person authorized to do such work under Ontario Regulation 75/05 (Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic) made under the Trades Qualification and Apprenticeship Act.

7.  Work done on electrical components of appliances by a person authorized to do such work under Ontario Regulation 210/01 (Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems), Ontario Regulation 211/01 (Propane Storage and Handling) and Ontario Regulation 215/01 (Fuel Industry Certificates) made under the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000.

A 313 Certificate holder may install wiring into the electrical panel for an air conditioner install only. Please note that this only applies in a residential setting and does not apply to a commercial/industrial property.

The individual does not have to hold a valid Electrical Contractors licence, but must take out a permit to have the work inspected.  The residential permit requirements are very broad;

QuoteRenovations/Additions And Alterations:
Any change to the original wiring including repair and replacement of electrical devices.  Electrical inspections are required for all electrical work (new installations and modifications). ESA will provide information on inspection requirements for the work being done.

You can download the ESA Account Application Form – Here

ESA has an Authorized Contractor Program – Here
(This program is designed to allow contractors to submit jobs in bulk rather than one at a time.)

For full details download the Authorized Contractor Program Manual – Here 
(See Section 4.0 Page 6 for HVAC requirements.)

Admin

The Ontario Electrical Safety Code (26th Edition/ 2015) came into effect as regulation on May 5, 2016.

There are some changes to permit requirements added to the OESC as Rule 2-005.

Quote2-005 An application for inspection not required

(d) for the connection or replacement of dishwashers, cook tops, garburators, trash compactors, ovens, exhaust fans, baseboard heaters, furnaces, and hot water tanks, if the equipment installation work
(i) is performed by one of the following, each according to his/her designation:
(A) a licensed electrical contractor;
(B) an employee or agent of the original equipment manufacturer who has been trained by the manufacturer to connect the equipment;
(C) a person authorized to do such work in accordance with Ontario Regulation 215/01 (Fuel Industry Certificates) made under the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000; or
(D) a person authorized to do such work within the scope of practice for the trade of Plumbing under the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009;
(ii) is in an owner-occupied dwelling;
(iii) is installed in an existing branch circuit for the application having a rating not exceeding 30 A and 240 V;
(iv) does not include installing, extending, altering, or repairing any electrical wiring connected to that equipment; and
(v) does not include installing equipment having a rating that exceeds the rating of the branch circuit;

(e) when repairs are performed on existing installed utilization equipment in an owner-occupied dwelling unit and the repair work
(i) is performed by one of the following, each according to his/her designation:
(B) an employee or agent of the original equipment manufacturer who has been trained by the manufacturer to perform maintenance, service, or repair on the equipment;
(C) a person authorized to do such work within the scope of practice for the trade of refrigeration and air conditioning systems mechanic or residential air conditioning systems mechanic under the
Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009;
(D) a person authorized to do such work in accordance with Ontario Regulation 215/01 (Fuel Industry Certificates) made under the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000; or
(E) a person authorized to do such work within the scope of practice for the trade of Plumbing under the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009;
(ii) does not include installing, extending, altering, or repairing any electrical wiring connected to that equipment;
(iii) does not include detaching any electrical wiring connected to that equipment;
(iv) includes equipment installed on a branch circuit having a rating not exceeding 30 A and 130 V, or 50 A and 240 V;
(v) does not alter the electrical rating or the characteristics of the equipment; and
(vi) does not include installing replacement components of a type that may invalidate the original certification mark;
(f) for the installation of a meter-base plug-in transfer device:
(i) by a licensed electrical contractor; and
(ii) in accordance with the requirements of the supply authority; or
(g) for the bonding of interior metal gas piping or tubing when the work is performed by a person authorized to do such work in accordance with Ontario Regulation 215/01 (Fuel Industry Certificates) made under the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000.

Hgye

Can you please remind me where is says an ac mechanic can go into the panel?  Thanks!

Porcupinepuffer

Quote from: Hgye on October 04, 2016, 05:27:02 PM
Can you please remind me where is says an ac mechanic can go into the panel?  Thanks!

In the 75/05 under "Scope of Trade" from section 3 to subsection 4. It doesn't get specific enough to say you can dive straight into the panel. But when you interpret everything it allows you to do, it implies you are allowed in the panel since most of what you're allowed to do would be impossible if you weren't.

Ted Mosby

Question... Do you have to pull a permit for every resi A/C install? Or is it only if you need to go into the panel (change a breaker/add a circuit)? I have always been told every A/C install needs a permit, but someone today told me that it is only required if you have to go into the panel or if it is a rental property/multi-unit property.

Thanks.

Admin

I'm 100% certain new AC installs require a permit.  I'm waiting for the ESA to reply to me.  I asked them if Rule 2-005 means a replacement AC no longer requires a permit, as long as the existing 240V wiring has not been altered.  I will let you know how they reply.

The Ontario Electrical Safety Code (26th Edition/ 2015) came into effect as regulation on May 5, 2016.

Quote2-005 An application for inspection not required (see Appendix B)
Notwithstanding the provisions of Rule 2-004, an application for inspection is not required
(a) for the installation of replacement utilization equipment, receptacles, or general-use switches by a licensed electrical contractor, if the equipment being installed
(i) is installed in an owner-occupied dwelling unit;
(ii) is installed in a branch circuit having a rating not exceeding 30 A and 130 V;
(iii) is interchangeable with the equipment being replaced in function, electrical rating, size, and weight without having to change any part of the branch circuit;
(iv) is installed in the same location as the equipment being replaced;
(v) is approved in accordance with Rule 2-024;
(vi) is not electrical equipment forming part of an electrical installation to which Sections 24, 38, 64, 68, and 84 of this Code apply; and
(vii) does not involve the repair, modification or replacement of a service box or a panel board or the replacement of an electro-mechanical overcurrent device in a service box or panel board;
(b) for the installation of replacement luminaires, and general-use switches, by the single dwelling unit owner, if the luminaires or general-use switches being installed are
(i) installed in an owner-occupied single dwelling unit;
(ii) installed in a branch circuit having a rating not exceeding 15 A and 130 V;
(iii) interchangeable with the equipment being replaced in function, electrical rating, size, and weight without having to change any part of the branch circuit;
(iv) installed in the same location as the equipment being replaced;
(v) not connected to aluminum wiring;
(vi) approved in accordance with Rule 2-024;
(vii) not electrical equipment forming part of an electrical installation to which Section 68 of this Code applies;
(viii) not recessed luminaires to which Rules 30-900 to 30-912 apply; and
(ix) not connected to ungrounded branch circuits;
(c) for the installation of wiring and associated equipment connected to the load side of an approved Class 2 power supply whose power output does not exceed 100 V•A; and is operating at less than 42.4 V ac peak or dc; by an employee or agent of the original equipment manufacturer or a worker in accordance with his/her designation and if the wiring is
(i) installed in an owner-occupied dwelling unit;
(ii) not connected to electrical equipment identified in Rules 2-022(3)(c)(i) to (vi); and
(iii) not connected to electrical equipment forming part of an electrical installation to which Sections 68 and 32 of this Code apply;
(d) for the connection or replacement of dishwashers, cook tops, garburators, trash compactors, ovens, exhaust fans, baseboard heaters, furnaces, and hot water tanks, if the equipment installation work
(B) an employee or agent of the original equipment manufacturer who has been trained by the manufacturer to connect the equipment;
(C) a person authorized to do such work in accordance with Ontario Regulation 215/01 (Fuel Industry Certificates) made under the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000; or
(D) a person authorized to do such work within the scope of practice for the trade of Plumbing under the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009;
(ii) is in an owner-occupied dwelling;
(iii) is installed in an existing branch circuit for the application having a rating not exceeding 30 A and 240 V;
(iv) does not include installing, extending, altering, or repairing any electrical wiring connected to that equipment; and
(v) does not include installing equipment having a rating that exceeds the rating of the branch circuit;
(e) when repairs are performed on existing installed utilization equipment in an owner-occupied dwelling unit and the repair work
(B) an employee or agent of the original equipment manufacturer who has been trained by the manufacturer to perform maintenance, service, or repair on the equipment;
(C) a person authorized to do such work within the scope of practice for the trade of refrigeration and air conditioning systems mechanic or residential air conditioning systems mechanic under the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009;
(D) a person authorized to do such work in accordance with Ontario Regulation 215/01 (Fuel Industry Certificates) made under the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000; or
(E) a person authorized to do such work within the scope of practice for the trade of Plumbing under the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009;
(ii) does not include installing, extending, altering, or repairing any electrical wiring connected to that equipment;
(iii) does not include detaching any electrical wiring connected to that equipment;
(iv) includes equipment installed on a branch circuit having a rating not exceeding 30 A and 130 V, or 50 A and 240 V;
(v) does not alter the electrical rating or the characteristics of the equipment; and
(vi) does not include installing replacement components of a type that may invalidate the original certification mark;
(f) for the installation of a meter-base plug-in transfer device:
(i) by a licensed electrical contractor; and
(ii) in accordance with the requirements of the supply authority; or
(g) for the bonding of interior metal gas piping or tubing when the work is performed by a person authorized to do such work in accordance with Ontario Regulation 215/01 (Fuel Industry Certificates) made under the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000.

Ted Mosby

Thanks admin. So the way I read that,  anything more than 240v we do requires a permit, but 240 and under does not require for a simple change out unless wiring is being replaced? and this is all if it is "owner occupied." It seems permits are required if it is a rental property or even if someone rents out their basement for example.

Admin

My email to ESA,

QuoteI noticed Rule 2-005(d) doesn't mention air conditioning, but Rule 2-005(e) mentions that repairing air conditioners does not require a permit.

I'm just wondering if all new construction residential air conditioning installations still require a permit?

ESA reply,

QuoteThe installation of a new air conditioner requires an application for inspection to be filed.

Air conditioners are typically supplied by a 240V circuit which excludes them from Rule 2-005.

My reply,

QuoteRule 2-005 says,

Your reply says air conditioners supplied by 240V are excluded from Rule 2-005.  Doesn't Rule 2-005 say if my branch circuit does not exceed 240V?

I understand a new air conditioner install requires a permit.  If I replace an air conditioner using an existing 240V branch circuit do we need a permit, if no changes to the circuit are made?

ESA reply,

QuoteYes that is correct, no permit is required, but this does not include installing, extending, altering or repairing electrical wiring connected to that equipment falls under the like for like replacement of rule 2-005. 

Ted Mosby

Interesting. So it sounds like unless all you do is disconnect wiring from one and reconnect it to a new one you need a permit. I think I may give them a call today to see what their definition of altering is. Would adding a disconnect count? I'm guessing it would. Will post back.

Admin

Just an update to this post since the OESC 27th Edition was adopted in Ontario, May 1, 2019.

You can download the OESC May 2019 Bulletins - Here

On May 4, 2020 the ESA ACP program will be replaced with RBO (Risk-Based Oversight)

https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files/esasafe/pdf/RBO/ESA-RBO-Guidebook.pdf