Bonding CSST and new customers

Started by G.P., February 13, 2012, 08:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.P.

On a couple recent customer visits, I noticed that their CSST was not bonded from prior contractor's work. 
I went ahead and corrected this issue however did not charge the customer.  This however, cuts into your profits, especially if it is a lengthy run to the electrical panel and can take some time if the panel is over congested. 6 awg bare copper is not cheap these days either. 
What do you do in this situation?  Charge the customer or absorb the costs?

Admin

When I find installations that are not code compliant I will explain the requirements to the client and quote a price to correct it, or I will issue a warning tag for Clause 4.7.1 or Clause 4.1.3 and let them sort it out with the original installer, which removes any liability from myself.

If the Gas Tite CSST we are installing is branching off downstream of any ridgid piping and existing bonding we do not need to worry about additional bonding of the Gas Tite CSST.

But if we install Gas Tite CSST off the ridgid piping upstream of existing bonding, then it's our responsibility to install additional bonding between our Gas Tite CSST and gas meter.  At $1-$3 a foot that's an expensive freebie if you end up having to install 50' of bonding wire.