tools for gas fitter

Started by kl, May 23, 2008, 11:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kl

Hi all,

I am currently doing my G3 and would like to start buying some tools for the trade, when I have cash.  Can you advise on what tools that I should get in order of priority and what brand/etc and where is the best place to buy.  I live in Brampton, Ontario.

thanks

TECH X

I prefer hand tools from my local HVAC wholesaler.

Long and short shank nut drivers. 1/4", 5/16", 3/8".
Long and short shank screw drivers. (pickwick makes a good multi-bit short shank driver)
Adjustable wrenches. 6" and 10".
3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" open end wrenches.
Channel locks. 10" and 12".
Pipe wrenches. 14", 18" and 24".
Allen keys. 1/8", 5/32", 3/16".
Torpedo level with magnet.
Wire strippers w/ crimper.
Linesmen and needle nose pliers.
Side cutters.
Left and right hand sheet metal snips and sheet metal tongs.
Inspection mirror.

Home depot sells a Rigid 12V cordless drill and they also sell a step bit for making round inspection holes in ductwork, and they sell a nice soft tool case.  There's a plastic container hidden in the bottom, great for storing wire connectors, 1/4" stakeones, marettes ect...

Once you start doing service you will need some electronic equipment.

Fluke 16/322 multimeter and clampon kit. (I believe the Fluke 3xx models are now involved in a recall.  I'll post the recall info in the tools & equipment forum soon)

Tpi 620 manometer. (Dual port)

Tpi 315 digital thermometer.

Tpi 712 flue gas analyser. (This has a built in manometer and digital thermometer probes, so you wouldn't need the 620 or 315)

The Inspector inspection camera, or any decent inspection camera like the Rigid SeeSnake.

kl

Thanks Tech X,

Can you provide me with a list of hvac wholesalers in the Brampton area.

kl

TECH X

I'm from Ottawa myself.  I usually buy my tools and equipment at WWG Totaline.  Mississauga might be the closest to you.
Checkout the branch locator - Here

Another good wholesaler is Frontier - Wolseley.  There's one in Brampton.
Checkout the branch locator - Here