Condensate Line - Not properly Drained

Started by Attavior, October 26, 2014, 08:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attavior

Slab on grade house, installation of a furnace, previous contractor has drained the condensate line by just drilling a hole thru the floor and allowing the water to drain underneath the slab.  I have always thought this practice was incorrect?  Or is this fine?  Can't find anything in the b149. 

Trainerguy

It is not the proper way to drain the condensate. By breaking the integrity of the cement slab there is a chance of allowing radon gas into the house. Also if the house is situated on bedrock or there is clay soil under the gravel of the house the condensate could back up into the house as it can't drain away fast enough.
If a floor drain is not close by then it should go into a condensate pump to pumped into the laundry tub etc.
Trainerguy

Admin

A building inspector would follow the Building Code, Article 7.1.4.2 & 9.31.4.4.

Quote7.1.4.2. Floor Drains
(1) Where gravity drainage to a sanitary drainage system is possible, a floor drain shall be installed in a basement forming part of a dwelling unit.
(2) Where gravity drainage to a sanitary drainage system is not possible, the floor drain required by Sentence (1) may be connected to a storm drainage system, dry well or drainage ditch provided it is located where it can receive only clear water waste or storm sewage.
(3) A floor drain shall be provided in a public laundry room, garbage room, incinerator room, boiler or heating room that is not located within a dwelling unit.

Quote9.31.4.4. Floor Drains
(1) A floor drain shall be installed in a basement forming part of a dwelling unit.

I agree, a condensate pump is usually the best option if there is no suitable floor drain.

I would also read the instruction manual of any appliance installed in that location.  There may a requirement to have a proper drain.  Clause 4.1.3 of the Gas Code would require we follow the instructions.

Attavior

Unfortunately the house is 20+ years old and there is no drains installed @ all there.  Furnace was installed (recently) in what was being used as a small workshop area in the house.  I am not sure why it was not installed with the condensate pump (laziness??), either way, home owner is calling original installer for explanation/fix.